I was recently lucky enough to test the new Mayberry dress pattern by Jennifer Lauren Handmade. It was my first ever pattern testing experience and it was so much fun!
I followed the pattern exactly and made a 16C and the only alteration I think I would make in the future is to add half an inch of length at the waist which is a common alteration from me because I’m quite tall.
I used a lovely lightweight black linen for the bodice and then a longyi that I bought in a market in Nyaung Shwe in Burma for the skirt – it’s a sort of olive-y green with tiny black stripes and little slubs. It also had a lovely stripe around the bottom that I couldn’t incorporate into the skirt because of fabric space, so I cut it off and used it for the drawstring.
I am not normally one to follow sewing instructions unless I come across something I haven’t done before, but it was really refreshing to go over each step in detail and take things slowly and carefully. Jennifer’s instructions are excellent, very clear text and illustrations, and I am thrilled with the dress. Also, pockets!